The first planning meeting of Cobourg Alliance took place on June 20th, 1955, at a picnic table in Victoria Park. Services began a month later at what was then the Lions Club Scout Hall at the corner of Ontario and University Streets. The church obtained some adjacent property and, in January 1961, opened its own building at 388 William Street. Then in 1989, for one year, services were held in Cobourg Collegiate while constructing the present building at 1333 Ontario Street, which opened in the fall of 1990 along with the Alliance Family Centre preschool and daycare.
The move to the high school also marked what was then a turning point for Cobourg Alliance, transitioning from a traditional church format to a more creative and contextual church environment, incorporating modern music, creative arts, and teaching relevant to real-life issues.
Coming out of covid has changed what real life looks like, for many, as we've been forced to rethink what's important and why. Over the past couple years, we have watched our community embrace the unknown as we rethink, relearn, and renew the values that have shaped our history. In the last couple years we've seen new groups emerge, acts of kindness and compassion initiated and heard new stories being shared. What we’ve all been through has made us more human but no less hopeful. The life and message of Jesus continues to speak to people all over our community and region, and we love being a part of their stories.